We appreciate your interest in employment with Barry’s! Barry’s is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity, and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, age, physical or mental disability, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law. Applicants with disabilities who need assistance with the application process may be entitled to a reasonable accommodation in accordance with applicable law. If you need assistance in completing this application or with the application process because of a disability, please contact the People and Culture Department ([email protected] or 323-673-0222).
The Market Talent Lead (MTL) serves as a leader, Barry’s culture ambassador and class programming guide for their regional Talent team. They are a responsible and motivated individual, passionate about sharing their knowledge on creating a WOW experience with others. The MTL cultivates supportive relationships by making themselves accessible and approachable, communicating effectively, and following through on tasks efficiently.
Relocation assistance is available for this position if you are currently based outside of Portland.
Instructor Recruitment & Training
- Act as the first point of contact for interested instructor candidates in your respective region.
- Actively develop and manage a pipeline of talent to ensure Barry’s always has best-in-market talent. This is incredibly important and requires that the MTL regularly take classes outside of Barry’s when we are actively recruiting in the region/studio.
- Source at least 1 qualified candidate per month when the studio/region is actively recruiting for Instructors.
- Partner with the Talent Leadership team to finalize and select candidates to become Barry’s Instructors, including participating in interviews, auditions, and test-out classes.
- Assist in leading Instructor training in your region, providing consistent, clear, and direct brand feedback in partnership with the Chief Curriculum Lead (CCL) assigned to lead the training program.
- Manage the pre-training and post-training process to ensure proper support for new instructors in your region.
- Own a schedule of a minimum of 15 regularly scheduled Red Room classes per week, which will be flexed (up/down) based on the size of the studio class schedule and needs of the business.
- Support aspects of Instructor development that drive the WOW experience:
- Help Instructors to develop and deliver a signature experience in their Red Room classes through effective programming, inclusive music/playlisting, and consistently delivering an engaging, signature workout experience.
- Coach Instructors on how to successfully build community through high levels of in/out of studio engagement with clients including appropriately and effectively using social media to promote themselves as part of the Barry's team.
- In partnership with Marketing, identify practical ways for Instructors to develop a brand-aligned social media presence and (personal) marketing strategy that is aligned with overall Barry’s marketing and branding strategy.
- Partner with Instructors to create WOW programming that is aligned with Barry’s programming guidelines.
- Address programming related issues that are limiting an Instructor’s growth, development, and performance in the Red Room.
- Attend a weekly meeting with the Director of Instructor Talent (DOIT) to provide feedback on Instructor performance, and areas of opportunity and address any Mission, Vision, Values (MVV) alignment issues.
- In partnership with the DOIT, conduct 1 team-building event per month.
- Execute any new programming guidelines, based on guidance from Talent Leadership.
Report Cards and Quality Assurance
- Complete one report card per week followed by a formal 30-min follow-up meeting to provide feedback/coaching to ensure that:
- All assigned Instructors who have less than 1 year of tenure are report-carded quarterly and;
- All assigned Instructors who have more than 1 year of tenure are report carded bi-annually.
- Conduct 2-4 individual 30-minute informal touch base meetings per month with Instructors to support Instructor growth and development within the region/studio.
- Ensure a WOW class is taught consistently by all Instructors in the region.
- Participate in the schedule optimization process as requested.
- Host 1 Instructor team meeting per month to review team performance and provide training and other business-related follow-up and support.
- Take 1 - 2 classes per week, rotating across studios and instructors to consistently provide timely performance-based feedback on programming and the WOW experience.
- Work cross-functionally and communicate efficiently with the Director of Instructor Talent Management, Talent leadership, and studio management, attending required meetings as scheduled.
- Always be the Best of Brand and an example of impeccable programming and brand standards in each class.
- Mentor new Instructors by encouraging them to take your class, and provide follow-up support as necessary.
- Embody Barry’s MVV and drive company culture across their region.
- Teach an amazing, signature WOW EXPERIENCE Barry’s class.
- Availability for full-time work (40-hours per week) with a flexible schedule that includes weekend availability
- Minimum of a Group Fitness Certification
- Excellent organizational and leadership abilities
- Outstanding communication and people skills
- Familiarity with MS Office, Google Suite and various business software
- Be in the top 50% performance amongst peers
- No MVV issues or disciplinary actions within last 12-months
- Relevant experience teaching fitness with a proven track record of success at delivering
- Minimum of 1 year tenure at Barry’s having taught at least 576 classes
OR (for external candidates)
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant Group fitness teaching experience outside of Barry’s with a demonstrated track record of success
- Proven leader in the regional fitness community
- Meets all other requirements listed above (excluding Barry’s related criteria)
Essential Skills & Abilities
- Ability to work a full-time schedule of at least 40 hours per week, 5 days per week.
- Ability to maintain regular, consistent, and reliable attendance in the workplace.
- Ability to routinely and consistently sit, stand, bend, reach, lift, push, and pull 20 pounds, and to type, speak, read and write for as much as 8 hours per day, 5 days per week.
- Ability to perform work on/using a telephone/computer for as much as 8 hours per day, 5 days per week.
- Ability to read, speak, and write effectively communicate verbally in writing in English with coworkers/customers/ clients and/or vendors.
- Ability to effectively lead and manage subordinate employees.
- Ability to think creatively and be responsive on a timely basis to predictable and unpredictable workplace issues.
- Ability to effectively work as part of a team.
- Ability to understand, consider and assess the financial impact of decisions
Barry’s is the Best Workout in the WorldTM®. Founded in West Hollywood in 1998, it’s the original strength and cardio interval fitness experience that provides an immersive, high-intensity, one-hour workout that’s as effective as it is fun.